OneCare Media is a high-growth, digital media startup committed to bettering the health & wellness of our community. Through expert-driven resources and curated recommendations, OneCare helps consumers make better informed, more personalized decisions in their healthcare journeys.
About the Role
Know your way around a good story? OneCare Media is seeking a full-time associate editor for SleepFoundation.org. The person in this role will be a staff writer for short- and long-form editorial content and will apply journalistic rigor to our growing editorial program. The successful candidate should have exceptional interviewer skills, knowledge of the health vertical, strong news judgment, demonstrated knowledge of SEO best practices, and the ability to write quickly and clearly. Time management and a knack for distilling complex subjects for a general audience also are key.
This full-time position reports to our senior director of editorial. We are open to remote candidates or those based in our home of Seattle.
What You’ll Do
- Write well-reported and scientifically accurate short- and long-form articles.
- Identify relevant sources and interview them confidently for inclusion in editorial content.
- Pitch sleep and sleep-related stories that will appeal to a general audience.
- Scale stories beyond the written word to video, live streams, and more.
- Uphold and evangelize for journalistic values, including those outlined in the Social of Professional Journalists' code of ethics.
- Develop expertise in covering sleep health, medicine, disorders, technology, etc.
- Translate complex concepts and data, including scientific research papers, into easily understandable stories.
- Multitask effectively and manage competing deadlines.
- Coordinate with video, graphics, and SEO teams and suggest innovative presentation of editorial content.
- Edit other writers' content, when needed.
- Collaborate with industry partners and internal/external writers.
What We Are Looking For
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism or related field is required
- 3+ years' experience writing, reporting, editing, or all of the above, with a portfolio of excellent work
- Sharp news judgment and the ability to identify compelling stories
- Demonstrated knowledge of SEO best practices and executing them in content
- Strong grasp of AP style guidelines
- Outstanding writing, grammar, and editing abilities
Who We Are
- We play an important role in the health and wellness decisions of our audiences, and it’s a responsibility we don’t take lightly. We invest thoughtfully to provide expert-driven information that is organized and presented in ways that empower audience understanding.
- We embody rapid, sustainable growth. Our team has quadrupled in the last year, and we’re just scratching the surface of what we can accomplish.
- We’re going to push you to ask big questions and find bold answers. Everyone has a seat at the table regardless of their title or job description. When we run into a challenge or find a new opportunity, the whole team rolls up their sleeves and digs in.
- We believe that flexibility enables optimal performance. Our Seattle-based roles have a hybrid model – create your schedule around what works best for you.
- Spoiler alert: we love a good celebration! We enjoy what we do because of who we do it with, and we take time to celebrate every win, whether it’s ours or a teammate’s.
- If this sounds like you, please apply on our website. We would love to speak with you!
OneCare is committed to bringing together individuals with diverse backgrounds and perspectives. We strive to create an inclusive environment where everyone can be their authentic self, feel a sense of community, and do great work together. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer open to all qualified applicants.