Editor-in-Chief, Sleep Foundation
OneCare Media is a high-growth, digital media startup committed to bettering the health & wellness of our community. Through expert-driven resources and curated recommendations, OneCare helps consumers make better informed, more personalized decisions in their healthcare journeys.
About the Role
OneCare Media is excited about sleep, and we seek a top-notch editor-in-chief to oversee how we tell stories about it. The person in this role will be the primary editor for short- and long-form editorial content on SleepFoundation.org and will be responsible for how we apply journalistic rigor to our growing editorial program. The successful candidate should have impeccable grammar and editing skills, knowledge of the health vertical, strong news judgment, demonstrated knowledge of SEO best practices, and the ability to collaborate effectively with freelance writers and internal stakeholders.
This full-time position reports to our senior director of editorial. We are open to remote candidates or those based in our home of Seattle.
What You'll Do
- Serve as the primary editor for all SleepFoundation.org editorial content.
- Coach editors and writers on storytelling, source development, and expert input.
- Develop Sleep Foundation’s editorial calendar and strategy, including testing concepts to increase editorial authority in the sleep space and to expand our reach.
- Raise the bar for the SEO excellence of our editorial content.
- Ensure Sleep Foundation's editorial content meets and anticipates our audience's needs.
- Pitch sleep and sleep-related stories that will appeal to a general audience.
- Scale stories beyond the written word to video, livestreams, and more.
- Uphold and evangelize for journalistic values, including those outlined in the Social of Professional Journalists' code of ethics.
- Develop detailed knowledge in sleep health, medicine, disorders, technology, etc.
- Translate complex concepts and data, including scientific research papers, into easily understandable stories.
- Multitask effectively and manage competing deadlines.
- Complete on-camera or brand-ambassador projects, when applicable.
What We Are Looking For
- 8+ years of experience in editorial, content production, content marketing, brand management, or all of the above
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism or related field
- Strong knowledge of SEO, social media platforms, newsletters, and audience management
- Exceptional storytelling abilities and a portfolio that speaks to them
- Expert grasp of AP style guidelines
- Advanced editorial skills and experience building, adapting, and producing narratives, news information, developing contributors, and keeping creative workstreams on track
- Demonstrated advocacy for health, wellness, and sleep-related issues with a strong and growing network of subject-matter experts
Who We Are
- We play an important role in the health and wellness decisions of our audiences, and it’s a responsibility we don’t take lightly. We invest thoughtfully to provide expert-driven information that is organized and presented in ways that empower audience understanding.
- We embody rapid, sustainable growth. Our team has quadrupled in the last year, and we’re just scratching the surface of what we can accomplish.
- We’re going to push you to ask big questions and find bold answers. Everyone has a seat at the table regardless of their title or job description. When we run into a challenge or find a new opportunity, the whole team rolls up their sleeves and digs in.
- We believe that flexibility enables optimal performance. Our Seattle-based roles have a hybrid model – create your schedule around what works best for you.
- Spoiler alert: we love a good celebration! We enjoy what we do because of who we do it with, and we take time to celebrate every win, whether it’s ours or a teammate’s.
- If this sounds like you, please apply on our website. We would love to speak with you!
OneCare is committed to bringing together individuals with diverse backgrounds and perspectives. We strive to create an inclusive environment where everyone can be their authentic self, feel a sense of community, and do great work together. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer open to all qualified applicants.