OneCare Media is a high-growth, digital media startup committed to bettering the health and wellness of our community. Through expert-driven resources and curated recommendations, OneCare helps consumers make better informed, more personalized decisions in their healthcare journeys.
About the Role
Sleep: We've been doing it forever. Thanks to everything from sleep-trackers to medical advances, we're only now getting solid data to understand it. That's where you come in. We're seeking an enterprising data journalist to help us define and tell new data-driven stories for SleepFoundation.org and other OneCare Media sites.
The person in this role will play a leading role in the creation of our ground-breaking sleep editorial content, from the data-wrangling and analysis stages through its presentation across multiple media. The successful candidate should have an outstanding grasp of data-analysis tools, solid news judgment, demonstrated knowledge of SEO best practices, and a knack for collaboration. Experience with data visualization is a plus. Time management and a flair for distilling complex subjects for a general audience also are key.
This full-time position reports to our senior director of editorial. We are open to remote candidates or those based in our home of Seattle.
What You’ll Do
- Lead the gathering, analysis, and translation of data from public, medical, and other sources to yield engaging, unique research
- Identify new data sources in the sleep field and establish data-reporting workflow
- Conceive and execute data-driven news and feature articles
- Scale stories beyond the written word to graphics, video, live streams, and more.
- Uphold and evangelize for journalistic values, including those outlined in the Social of Professional Journalists' code of ethics.
- Develop expertise in covering sleep health, medicine, disorders, technology, etc.
- Multitask effectively and manage competing deadlines.
- Collaborate with industry partners, in addition to our data, PR, editorial, video, and SEO teams.
What We Are Looking For
- 3+ years of experience driving data-driven storytelling in a journalistic setting
- Portfolio that includes at least 3 examples of content that successfully matches data integration with digestible storytelling
- Strong SQL skills in an open-source relational database management system
- Sharp news judgment and an ability to identify compelling stories
- Entrepreneurial spirit and a high comfort level in working independently
- Demonstrated experience using Python, R, or similar languages to complete statistical tasks
- Some knowledge of SEO best practices and executing them in content
- Ability to follow a style guide (we primarily use AP)
- Familiarity with data visualization
Who We Are
- We play an important role in the health and wellness decisions of our audiences, and it’s a responsibility we don’t take lightly. We invest thoughtfully to provide the most expert-driven, audience-first experience.
- We embody rapid, sustainable growth. Our team has quadrupled in the past year, and we’re just scratching the surface of all we can accomplish. Run into a challenge or a new opportunity? Everyone on the team rolls up their sleeves and digs in.
- We’re going to push you to ask big questions and find bold answers. Everyone has a seat at the table, regardless of their title or job description.
- We believe that flexibility in how we do our best work is important. Our Seattle-based roles are on a hybrid model – create your schedule around what works best for you.
- Spoiler alert: We love a good celebration! We enjoy what we do because of who we do it with, and take time to celebrate every win – whether ours or a teammate’s.
What We Offer
OneCare is committed to bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds and perspectives. We strive to create an inclusive environment where everyone can thrive and be their authentic self, feel a sense of community, and do great work together. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer open to all qualified applicants.